These peanut (or almond) butter bars are perfect for the holiday season.
This recipe is beyond delicious and doesn’t have any of the major no-no’s in the ingredients (cough, white flour). Not only that, it contains old fashioned rolled oats, a great source of fiber, and nut butter, a great source of protein! Be sure to use brown rice krispy cereal and now your cookin’ with
crisco coconut oil!
These bars are also gluten free and can be dairy free if you use dairy free chocolate chips.
Bring this next time you are invited to someone’s house and no doubt they will be asking you for the recipe!
Peanut (or Almond) Butter Bars
- 1/2 cup peanut or almond butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup brown rice cereal (like Rice Krispies but with brown rice – much healthier)
- 1/2 cup peanuts (or almonds), chopped
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips* (Feel free to add more if that amount just doesn’t cut it.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper, letting the ends overhang a little and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the nut butter and maple syrup until smooth. Mix in the oil, vanilla and salt.
- Mix in the oats and cereal. Add nuts and chocolate chips.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared pan and press in very firmly and evenly as you can. bake 22 to 25 minutes, until edges appear golden.
- Let cool completely in pan. Remove from pan by pulling up sides of parchment. Best way to cut is to use a chef’s knife and press down in one firm motion.
*You can also add 1/3 cup butterscotch chips if you are feeling naughty!